***CURRENTLY BASED IN NEW ZEALAND WITH MY C300 CAMERA AND EDITING KIT FOR ANY PD OR FILMING WORK - AS A NZ/BRITISH CITIZEN, I AM ELIGIBLE TO TRAVEL AND WORK ANYWHERE IN NZ WHILE THE COUNTRY IS NOT ACCEPTING NON-RESIDENTS - GET IN TOUCH IF YOU REQUIRE ANY FILMING THERE***Latest reel here: https://vimeo.com/312385609 Key Skills • Emmy & R... Read More
***CURRENTLY BASED IN NEW ZEALAND WITH MY C300 CAMERA AND EDITING KIT FOR ANY PD OR FILMING WORK - AS A NZ/BRITISH CITIZEN, I AM ELIGIBLE TO TRAVEL AND WORK ANYWHERE IN NZ WHILE THE COUNTRY IS NOT ACCEPTING NON-RESIDENTS - GET IN TOUCH IF YOU REQUIRE ANY FILMING THERE***
Latest reel here: https://vimeo.com/312385609
• Emmy & RTS award-winning Documentary Director with credits for C4, BBC, ITV, etc.
• Experienced Self-shooter & owns extensive camera kit (C300).
• Edit Produces as well as Produces and Directs – 98% of the films I PD, I take right through to the edit. (Can also edit taster cuts myself on my own FCP edit kit).
• Member of We are Doc Women.
• London based – but can travel worldwide at short notice. Extensive experience filming in challenging, hostile & remote locations such as the Middle East, Africa, South East Asia, Russia etc.
• Extensive Observational and Current Affairs experience – though I’m now focusing on observational, specialist factual and natural history/wildlife/adventure/travel films.
• Full UK Drivers’ License, have own car.
• Extensive experience building relationships with sensitive contributors.
• Experience directing all kinds of Talent, Reporters and Presenters.
• Fully Ofcom & legally compliant along with editorial, security & safe-guarding protocols.
• Hostile & challenging environment HEFAT trained, trauma first aid trained.
• Covid-19 production compliant!
Latest credits include:
• Shooting PD, The Selfless Sikh BBC One
• Producer, Grenfell: The First 24 Hours ITV
• Shooting PD on the BAFTA-winning BBC One landmark documentary Grenfell
• Edit Director, Stacey Dooley: Face to Face with ISIS, BBC Three
• Investigative journalist & AP, Grindr Killer, BBC Three.
I thrive on filming compelling characters that shed light on social issues such as criminal justice, knife crime, mental health, human rights, addiction, homelessness etc. I have a long proven track record making films exploring Women’s rights, GBV, trafficking, modern day slavery, the Syrian refugee crisis & migration. I’m also fascinated in unique and inspiring people striving for change, and those who lead non-conformist lives, such as those living alternative, eco-friendly lifestyles off-grid. Do get in touch also if you're looking for a shooting PD or Director for projects in New Zealand, Australia or South East Asia - as a Kiwi I have specialist knowledge of these countries and experience filming around Australasia including the Pacific.
I have a strong feel for constructing narrative & filming compelling sequences and actuality. I thrive on powerful storytelling, beautiful visuals and strong characters. I’m editorially strong and structure-driven. I’m adept at embedding myself within a community and accessing institutions.
I have a great contacts book of a wide range of experts and contributors from all walks of life. I’m also about to get my Drone pilot license too!
Asides from my Emmy and RTS awards, my work has also been nominated for a Grierson, a One World Media Award, 2 Broadcast Awards, 2 Amnesty Media Awards, a Sandford St Martin Award, an Asian Media Award & has won a One World Media Award.
Please don't hesitate to get in touch for a chat! Read Less
|Course / Qualification||Training Provider / Institution||Year|
|DBS / DBS / 2018|
|Working with Children / BBC / 2018|
|Working with Children||BBC||2018|
|C300 filming course / DV Talent / 2017|
|C300 filming course||DV Talent||2017|
|HEFAT Refresher Course / 1st Option Safety Group (BBC) / 2016|
|HEFAT Refresher Course||1st Option Safety Group (BBC)||2016|
|Level 4 BTECH Surviving Hostile Regions / AKE Group / 2011|
|Level 4 BTECH Surviving Hostile Regions||AKE Group||2011|
Sharron came to Newsnight with a really strong pitch which she researched, negotiated access with the contributor and worked through from inception, to filming, through to the edit. She brings a great deal of knowledge and insight on geo-politics within the Middle East and a cultural understanding and empathy of the issues, and is fun and easy to work with. She thinks hard about the films she makes and the journalistic balance and integrity that is required on a rigorous flagship programme such as Newsnight. The film she worked on with us was also nominated for a refugee award and had a strong impact long after it transmitted.
Media I Work In:
Locations I can work in:
Heath And Safety Training
Work Permit EU
Work Permit New Zealand
Work Permit Australia
Canon 5D MKII
Canon EOS C300
Final Cut Pro
Single Camera Directing
BAFTA 2019, Best Factual Director Ben Anthony, Grenfell - worked as Shooting PD on this feature length film for BBC One.<br /> <br /> Awarded International Emmy for News 2014 - for "Syria's Descent," series featuring "Syria: Brides for Sale," Channel 4 News/ITN.<br /> <br /> RTS Award for "Best Single Documentary" for The Selfless Sikh, 2017.<br /> <br /> Nominated for "Best TV Programme" for The Selfless Sikh, Asian Media Awards, 2017.<br /> <br /> Nominated for "Best Documentary" Sandford St Martin Award, The Selfless Sikh, 2017<br /> <br /> Longlisted for One World Media Award for "Syria: Brides for Sale" 2014.<br /> <br /> Longlisted for an Amnesty International Media Award, 2016 for Syria: Hidden War on Women & Lesbos SOS. <br /> <br /> Awarded 1997 New Zealand AIDS Foundation Media Award for PSA on "Children living in a world with AIDS."<br /> <br /> Nominated for "The Speaking Together Media Award" for BBC Newsnight film on Libyan asylum seeker, 2014.<br /> <br /> Awarded Best European Documentary Feature Award, for "Addicted in Afghanistan" at the ECU, European Independent Film Festival Paris, 2010.<br /> <br /> Aloha Accolade Award for Excellence in Filmmaking for "Addicted in Afghanistan" from the Honolulu International Film Festival, 2010.<br /> <br /> Golden Ace Award for Excellence in Filmmaking, for "Addicted in Afghanistan" at the Las Vegas International Film Festival 2010.<br /> <br /> Nominated Best Documentary Film, for "Addicted in Afghanistan" Milan International Film Festival 2010<br /> <br /> Golden Palm Award, for "Addicted in Afghanistan" Mexico International Film Festival 2010<br /> <br /> Nominated for Grierson Best Newcomer Award 2010 for "Addicted in Afghanistan."<br /> <br /> Best Director of Documentary Award, "Addicted in Afghanistan" Asia First Fim Festival, 2009.<br /> <br /> Nominated for a Promax UK 2002 Award for Best Sales Tape.