You are currently using an unsupported web browser. For the best experience using the Talent Manager website please consider upgrading your browser.

The BBC has emphasised its offer of equal paternity and maternity leave and support for carers and menopausal women as it unveils a pay rise of more than 5% for most staff over the next year.

From August, staff salaries will rise by 4.2%, with a further 1% later in the financial year - totalling 5.2%.

This remains below the current 7% inflation rate, the staff offer is significantly above last year's 1% rise, which had followed a pay freeze in 2020,

The rise will not apply to senior leaders, whose pay is subject to a different process.

The BBC said it was able to implement the rises as it seeks to retain staff after its total workforce fell by more than 1,200 last year.

“We would rather have fewer people, paid closer to the wider media market,” it said in a statement.

“The BBC will never be able to meet the levels of pay at some of our rivals – and nor should we be expected to – but we are operating in a global market for talent, and without that talent, there are no programmes or content."

In its pay review, the BBC stressed the support that it offers to staff as a “reformed, modern and efficient organisation”:
  • Support for parents: Consistency of approach for paternity and maternity leave across the BBC for all new parents
  • Support for carers: Assistance for employees in managing co-ordination of dependant care, a peer support network, and practical advice
  • Supporting women in menopause: As signatories of the Menopause Workplace Pledge and working in partnership with employees, the BBC will raise awareness and advocacy
  • Support for all staff to develop fulfilling careers at the BBC through career development programmes and training resources
blog comments powered by Disqus
Need Help?