Are you looking for expert training to Become A Self-Shooting PD?
This UK-wide, comprehensive training course offers face-to-face technical training on all aspects of the self-shooting PDs role, and an all-important chance to put these new skills into practice.
It will equip participants with the technical and editorial skills required of an accomplished self-shooter, as well as an understanding of the key requirements of an edit. By the end of the course, the participants will be delivering rushes with strong storytelling at their heart – assets that drastically reduce the likelihood of schedule and budget overruns.
There will also be three additional two-hour workshops held whilst the course is running — on health/safety and compliance, commentary and interview techniques — as well as a final masterclass providing a chance to network, chat with talent managers and guest speakers.
Taught by acclaimed, self-shooting producer/directors and series producers, this unique course will teach delegates everything there is to know to shoot with confidence for a wide range of factual TV.
This programme is supported by the ScreenSkills Unscripted TV Skills Fund which invests in training for the unscripted workforce thanks to contributions from BBC, Channel 4, Sky, A+E Networks UK, Discovery UK, Channel 5 and Netflix matched by production companies.
The course is also supported by the Talent Manager and The Kit Room offering ongoing technical support to delegates.
We will be delivering the course at locations across the UK including Bristol, Belfast, Glasgow, London and Manchester.
Each course will involve 3 x (non-consecutive) weekends of face-to-face training, plus additional online sessions and masterclasses.
- London – 23/24 April + 14/15 May + 28/29 May – APPLY BY 1st April
- Bristol – 18/19 June + 9/10 July + 30/31 July - APPLY BY 20th May
- Belfast – 13/14 Aug + 3/4 Sept + 17/18 Sep - APPLY BY 15th July (click here to view the location)
- Manchester – 24/25 Sep + 15/16 Oct + 29/30 Oct - APPLY BY 26th August
- Glasgow– 12/13 Nov + 26/27 Nov + 10/11 Dec - APPLY BY 14th October
The course fee for delegates is £250 + vat per person.
This course has been heavily subsidised by ScreenSkills and the Unscripted TV Skills Fund. A small number of bursaries are also available to help towards the course fee and will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. These bursaries are primarily to support people from groups that are under-represented in Unscripted TV, or those with additional costs (eg. caring or travel). Please indicate on your application form if you would like to be considered for a bursary.
Applications are open to members of Directors UK and non-members passionate about pursuing a career as a self-shooting PD.
Applications will be reviewed by a panel from Directors UK and DV Talent. There will be 9 places available on the course in each location.
- The first weekend will focus on technical training and exercises, including building the camera, focus, exposure, settings, lighting, sound, and building sequences.
- The second will revolve around shooting for the edit. Including framing, essential shots, story-telling/mapping and shot progression, as well as interview techniques and important contingencies.
- The last weekend will put all the theory into practice in a real-life exercise.
- Following the course, attendees cuts will be reviewed by one your tutors, whereby you’ll receive expert advice and feedback.